Skogenracing.com
Vill du reagera på det här meddelandet? Registrera dig för forumet med några klick eller logga in för att fortsätta.

HemHem  SökSök  Latest imagesLatest images  Bli medlemBli medlem  Logga in  

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto

Gå ner 
+33
Lister Mister
bosse
corrode
davus
Fiechen
S12Cat
kyllo
Johnny T.
Jpereira
Posmo
haggis
Zozz
Thierry
Boby
Tim
M-H
smurf
martini22
PePe
Tehnic
Jonas O
Luyo
YSM
ESKIN8R
InFlammen
nitrousnutter
Alcazar
Kovu
Mikael
Henrik
Öbbe
JBlom
Jankaou
37 posters
Gå till sida : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Nästa
FörfattareMeddelande
Jankaou
Skogenracing Small

Antal inlägg : 3
Registration date : 07-04-26

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Empty
InläggRubrik: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimetor 26 apr 2007, 09:48

Hello !

(Sorry for my bad english on non generally english forum)

I have see a lot of skogenracing video king so very impressive. Here in Hungary are lots of Skogenracing fan. Wink I saw some Skogen videos about putting turbo to a standard Pinto EFI engine in couple of hours. How can you do it? In hungary there are lot of pinto turbo conversion, but most of them drastically converted (with K-jet, or special electronic, or carburettor). I'm not expert engine builder, just amateur, so.... I need your help. I have an '89 Sierra with Standard 2.0i (Pinto EFI - 100HP) engine. I would like to turbocharging it, but i can't find any "guide" how can i do it very simple, and low cost. I don't want build a dragster, i dont want drastically conversion, just i would little bit stronger and faster car, (max 150-160HP) than before, thats all.... can anybody help me? Where can i find a detailed understandable english "howto" guide about PINTO EFI TO PINTO TURBO EFI conversion? Which parts of the engine (and ecu) must be change or update? Which parts i need to buy? What can i do, to convert Pinto EFI engine to Turbo Pinto EFI engine?

Very Thanx a lot for your help
Jankaou
Till överst på sidan Gå ner
JBlom
Skogencrew
JBlom

Antal inlägg : 6140
Namn : JBlom
Från : Gävle
Kör : Luftkylt igen! :)
Registration date : 06-10-11

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimetor 26 apr 2007, 12:16

Hello Jankaou and Welcome to skogenracing. =)
Nice to hear that you in Hungary are skogenracins fans.

There is a tread here att skogenracing how to turbocharge your pinto engine in a cheap way, but unfortunately it is in swedish.
Maybe Mikael can translate it for you beacuse he´s the expert in pinto conversions. Smile
http://www.luftschutzracing.com
Öbbe
Skogencrew
Öbbe

Antal inlägg : 6142
Namn : Öberg
Kör : Porsche 997TT, Polaris RMK 800 turbo -14, Ockelbo 600 -71
Registration date : 06-10-12

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimetor 26 apr 2007, 15:02

welcome!

yeah maybe we should translate the guide =)
http://www.SKOGENRACING.com
Henrik
Skogenracing Sponsor
Henrik

Antal inlägg : 1669
Namn : Henrik
Från : land
Kör : Nissan och Ford
Registration date : 06-10-13

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimetor 26 apr 2007, 15:33

I know i have seen a english "how to" about turbo charing the pinto...

But i cant find it Sad

But welcome to skogenracing !
Mikael
Skogencrew
Mikael

Antal inlägg : 15246
Namn : Mikael
Kör : Subaru Impreza WRX STi, Skidoo summit tjejskoter

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimetor 26 apr 2007, 20:13

I will try to explain this in english

Welding knowledge are required i would say its useless to even try to do this if you don´t know how to weld.

First you need to remove orginal manifold and exhaust

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 16hjhas

Then you need to construct a new manifold for the turbocharger

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 16k6q6b

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 16k6qvp

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 16k6squ

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 16m1t9k

Fits perfekt Smile

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 16m1v5v

Turbo mounted

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 16m1z6s

Oilpressure to the turbo

Oil hose mountet

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 18414044665

Welded some more, so we could connect the hose to the turbo

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 16m1vl2

Like this

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 18414063770

You need a oilreturn. In this case we welded a pipe directly to the oilpan, to do this you have to remove the enginge

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 18414071886

There are a much simpler solution to this without removing the engine. No need tho explain, the pics show what to do.

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 2afhki1

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 3zsa3qo

The engine needs more fuel, standard fuelsystem leans out around 0.2bar

Easy solved with some chokeinjectors from a engine with K-jetronic. Only problem that there is only one on a K-jetronic engine. For 0.5-0.7bar you need att least four injectors

Mount them like this, we used some sheet metal screws for this

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 16k6vz4

The supply these with fuel you need something like this

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 2mo4j2o

Fit it on the pressure hose

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 1z6v5uw

Electric drawing for the extra fuel supply system
To trigger the injectors you need something lika a electrical pressurebutton. A ordinary oil pressure sensor works fine

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 48bxxdu

Intercooler mounted

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 18516175965

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 18516191361

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 18516220215

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 18516240351

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 18516253840

Starting to look like a engine Smile

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 18516264761

The downpipe

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 1z583n4

Exhaust 2.5 inch tubes

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 2ptyscy

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 2z7hdgx

final touch

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto 18918060771
http://www.skogenracing.com
Öbbe
Skogencrew
Öbbe

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimetor 26 apr 2007, 22:54

fantastic =) duktig du micke Wink
Jankaou
Skogenracing Small

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimefre 27 apr 2007, 00:02

Hello Guys! Smile

Very thanx alot, for your kindness, and to Mikael for the english translation. Smile I can’t understand before, how works L-JET and the turbo together. I saw the photos, and read notes, I think I understand how its work: The standard L-JET stays in the car, and functioning than just before, but paralelly with it, the newly installed K-JET carrying more fuel to engine. So I don’t need remove or update anything on original L-JET system, only i must set up a K-jet to next to…. Is it ? Smile

Some question:
Do K-JET injectors and original L-JET injectors gets fuel from same (original) fuelpump?
Does the original engine management functioning fine with turbo? So don’t I swap or modifying something on L-jet system?
The four K-Jet injectors works together continously, after the "pressureswitch" short the circuit. What is pressureswitch ?

Very Thanx a lot Smile
Best regards & Good night Skogenracers (Here is the midnight going to sleep) Sleep

Jankaou
Mikael
Skogencrew
Mikael

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimefre 27 apr 2007, 08:53

Jankaou skrev:
Hello Guys! Smile

Very thanx alot, for your kindness, and to Mikael for the english translation. Smile I can’t understand before, how works L-JET and the turbo together. I saw the photos, and read notes, I think I understand how its work: The standard L-JET stays in the car, and functioning than just before, but paralelly with it, the newly installed K-JET carrying more fuel to engine. So I don’t need remove or update anything on original L-JET system, only i must set up a K-jet to next to…. Is it ? Smile

Some question:
Do K-JET injectors and original L-JET injectors gets fuel from same (original) fuelpump?
Does the original engine management functioning fine with turbo? So don’t I swap or modifying something on L-jet system?
The four K-Jet injectors works together continously, after the "pressureswitch" short the circuit. What is pressureswitch ?

Very Thanx a lot Smile
Best regards & Good night Skogenracers (Here is the midnight going to sleep) Sleep

Jankaou

That´s correct, by allowing the orginal fuel system to work like it´s supposed to, you can get a normal fuel consumption when not using the boost. Becuase you are using the cold start injectors from the K-jet it isn´t much electrical wiring to do. Each injector supply fuel for around 20hp.
It´s the same fuelpump for both system.

Therefore it´s no neeed the modifie anything on the orginal fuelsystem

Hard to explain what a pressureswitch is, we call it "tryckvakt" the direct translation is pressureguard. It works exactly like oil pressure sensor but it´s adjustable
Jankaou
Skogenracing Small

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimelör 28 apr 2007, 20:22

Thank you very much for your answers cheers

I have some new question:

I think Pressure switch in the electronic circuit is a simple switch. When boost exceeds the adjusted limit, the pressureswitch switch ON the K-Jet injectors. The extra fuel start, and flows uncontrolled continously, until the Pressureswitch switch OFF. Its independs from RPM, and state of throttle position sensor. Doesn’t need controll, for the amount of extra fuel? What is controlling that fuel-mixture wouldn't be poor, or rich? Or doesn't need controll, it works fine without it?

Where can you mounted the pressure switch?

Turbo engines have lower compression rate than non-turbo engines. Do I modify something on Pinto engine? Degree the compression with special head gasket or something else?

Thank you.
Mikael
Skogencrew
Mikael

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimelör 28 apr 2007, 21:13

Jankaou skrev:
Thank you very much for your answers cheers

I have some new question:

I think Pressure switch in the electronic circuit is a simple switch. When boost exceeds the adjusted limit, the pressureswitch switch ON the K-Jet injectors. The extra fuel start, and flows uncontrolled continously, until the Pressureswitch switch OFF. Its independs from RPM, and state of throttle position sensor. Doesn’t need controll, for the amount of extra fuel? What is controlling that fuel-mixture wouldn't be poor, or rich? Or doesn't need controll, it works fine without it?

Where can you mounted the pressure switch?

Turbo engines have lower compression rate than non-turbo engines. Do I modify something on Pinto engine? Degree the compression with special head gasket or something else?

Thank you.

It works fine actually, a brutal solution perhaps but works really good
The pressure switch can you mount anyware, but it needs both vacuum and pressure so someware on the intakemanifold.

1bar works with orginal compression 0.7-0.8 is more safe boost.
After that you need to lower the compression. We use Cosworth pistons in our motors, quite cheap here in sweden. Modifiy the head is one way, a copper plate and a gasket on each side is another
Kovu
Skogenracing Small
Kovu

Antal inlägg : 2
Namn : Gureev Alexandr
Från : Russia Moscow
Kör : Ford sierra
Registration date : 07-04-30

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimemån 30 apr 2007, 17:31

Whether and you change loose leaves on Cosworth?
Kovu
Skogenracing Small
Kovu

Antal inlägg : 2
Namn : Gureev Alexandr
Från : Russia Moscow
Kör : Ford sierra

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimemån 30 apr 2007, 18:06

And from what machine the gauge of pressure of oil is used? And how it works? In fact the gauge of pressure of oil reacts to pressure drop instead of on its increase...
Alcazar
Skogenracing Small

Namn : Anton
Från : Moscow
Kör : Ford Sierra

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimemån 30 apr 2007, 18:07

sorry for my bad english!
Smile

Greetings! We from Moscow, have in possession Fords Sierras, we wish to build devices on 200 + bhp, very much for a long time we sit on SkogenRacing, wrote to you on website when was still guest, we express huge respect to you!!!!! Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Jobbar5 cheers class car, you the master! We shall collect engines from spare parts Cosworth, that is inside, the head of the block, will be SOHC, and there is a question, than the Machine thinks? That is what brains cost, management? And whether the cranked shaft broke at you?
Mikael
Skogencrew
Mikael

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimetis 01 maj 2007, 19:25

I´m sorry but i have a hard time to understand what you mean.

My solition for your problem is to contact this man

http://www.zatzy.com/showthread.php?t=282896&highlight=turbobanditen

He is from Russia and i´m sure he can spare a few tips
nitrousnutter
Skogenracing Small

Antal inlägg : 15
Registration date : 07-01-11

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimetis 22 maj 2007, 20:54

Hello mikael, you look like you really know what you are doing on a pinto turbo conversion!, i may well bend you ears in the future as im doing a pinto turbo on my capri at the moment although in truth im just collecting parts at the mo, i have a 2.1 205 block, 93mm accralite pistons, 1985 ford granada for the injection setup and ecu loom etc..., im going to run it through a cosworth T5 box to a 2.8i lsd axle, I think i have most of the bits now so hopefully it will all come together ok. Oh and the turbo conversion i have is a 1970's Janspeed turbo that has a big rotormaster turbo and is a suckthrough type thats goes through an Su carb but im going to ditch this and go for an injection setup! Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Rita

great site by the way Jason.
InFlammen
Skogenracing Small

Antal inlägg : 14
Namn : David
Från : Spain
Kör : Sierra RS Cosworth, Sierra 2.0is (to be turbo'd)
Registration date : 07-05-28

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimemån 28 maj 2007, 15:23

Hello! I've just found this forum.

I'm from Spain, and I am also collecting information and parts in order to make my Pinto Turbo, to fit my '88 Sierra 2.0is. I would like to get about 200-230 bhp.
I will use a Cosworth bottom end with 205 block and a big valve head.

I don't know what head gasket and what camshaft could be a good option to fit in. Could you help me with this items?

On the other hand you talk about add a set of 4 new injectors that works when a pressure switch send a signal. I have thought about keep on EFI injection system, but change the original injectors and fit a set of dark blue or dark green set from a Cosworth, and manage EFI with a Megasquirt ECU (English people says that I can virtually plug and play it, but I don't know how to do it step by step).

Oh, the last quetion (at this moment). Where dou you think the air flow meter is better situated? Between the air intake and the turbo, or between the turbo and the inlet manifold?

Sorry for my bad "English" and many thanks for your help!!

Very impressive Swedish cars!!

Senast ändrad av den mån 28 maj 2007, 17:13, ändrad totalt 1 gång
Öbbe
Skogencrew
Öbbe

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimemån 28 maj 2007, 15:50

ohh spain welcome =)

the english is very good i think and u will sure get some answers soon!
InFlammen
Skogenracing Small

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimemån 28 maj 2007, 17:09

Yes, a few of us don't like fibreglass and prefer engine tuning... But only a very little few. Sad So we have to look for help in English... or even in Swedish!!
I have seen something about a Pinto Turbo conversion running a Megasquirt ECU, but my Swedish is already too little to understand it (about ten words Razz )
Öbbe
Skogencrew
Öbbe

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimemån 28 maj 2007, 17:12

hehe..
we have a turbo conversion guide in english to, but Mikael can surely answers your questions..
InFlammen
Skogenracing Small

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimemån 28 maj 2007, 17:18

Yes, I have read the English Pinto Turbo conversion, but it is not exactly what I would like to do. I would prefer learn more about Megasquirt way.
Öbbe
Skogencrew
Öbbe

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimemån 28 maj 2007, 17:19

ok, just wait and u will get the info u need i think!
InFlammen
Skogenracing Small

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimemån 28 maj 2007, 17:24

Oh, no problem, mate. I am not in the hurry, as I am still collecting parts to do it. Just for learn step by step.
Mikael
Skogencrew
Mikael

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimemån 28 maj 2007, 17:44

Hi and welcome!

Standardgasket works fine actually. I tested 1.3bar so far and no problem.
If i where you i would look for a camshaft that has approx 280-290 duration and 11-12mm lift.

A lot of people here in sweden have Megasquirt in their cars and it seems to work fine. I have installed MS in my Capri (not tested yet), really simple byt demands some electrical talent. You can just cut of and change the electrical socket to a 37 pin socket and remove the airflowmeter and mount a airsensor instead. Hard to explain and i cannot help you more than that.

the airflowmeter is best mountet on the suction side. But you don´t need that with megasquirt which need the following sensors

1. Throttle position sensor
2. Air temp sensor
3. coolant temp sensor
4. MAP sensor (built-in)
5. idling solenoid (not required)
6. Lambda sensor

For more help look here

http://www.megasquirt.info/
InFlammen
Skogenracing Small

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimeons 30 maj 2007, 23:49

This is just what I needed! But I have to study a lot!
Are there standard ignition maps for an engine like I want to do?
InFlammen
Skogenracing Small

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitimetor 07 jun 2007, 00:59

What about injectors?
I want to change original ones for a set of Cosworth injectors, but what colour?
I wish about 200-240 CV, at 1 or 1,2 bar.
In that case, what will be the correct colour? Dark blue from a 4x4, greens or greys?
Sponsored content

InläggRubrik: Sv: Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto   Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto Icon_minitime

Pinto Turbo Conversion - Howto
Till överst på sidan 
Sida 1 av 7Gå till sida : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Nästa
 Liknande ämnen
-
» About the Pinto turbo conversion
» Wich turbo to choose for PINTO conversion
» [ FRANCE ] Ford Taunus 1974 2.0 pinto turbo conversion
» turbo technics pinto turbo manifold
» Pinto Turbo - Gearboxes

Behörigheter i detta forum:Du kan inte svara på inlägg i det här forumet